POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Not a little gem... (~50KB) : Not a little gem... (~50KB) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:26:20 EDT (-0400)
  Not a little gem... (~50KB)
From: Andrew C on Mozilla
Date: 9 May 2004 05:57:24
Message: <409e0084@news.povray.org>
Hi folks.

This is supposed to be a an extreme closeup of a small gemstone (a few
mm across), set in a gold setting. But it looks nothing like that - and
I can't figure out why.

The stone doesn't look remotely gem-like. Can't figure that out. It's
transparent, reflective, and reflective. What am I missing?

The setting doesn't look like gold. I've fiddled with brilliance,
specular, roughness, reflection, and turned on metallic (as well as
conserve_energy). Still doesn't look remotely like metal. Why?

Also can't figure out why the metal setting apparently isn't resulting
in any photons. (It makes the photon process hundreds of times slower -
that is, I had to multiply the photon spacing a few hundred times to get
it to render this year.)

This was supposed to end up being a single link in a bracelet - but it
looks so rubbish I hadn't get that far yet.

Any ideas?
Andrew @ home.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: